The Parks Alliance has releases six demands ahead of the upcoming elections.
1. Appoint a Minister for Parks as a key priority, ensuring that they have a good understanding of the sector. Meet with its representatives as a matter of urgency.
2. Invest in the sector to help it generate its own income. Further cuts will lead to inefficiency and few tangible savings.
3. Establish an independent national commission to investigate the State of UK Parks, as highlighted by the Heritage Lottery Fund’s report: The State of the UK’s Public Parks (June 2014).
4. Work with local authorities to provide and protect funding for parks that are so vital to national health and well-being.
5. Work with local authorities across the UK to identify a ‘Park Champion’ in each council.
6. Support the creation of a national standard to map and measure the quality of all green spaces.