The Parks Alliance, the UK’s voice of parks, has launched an open call for park testimonials from members of the public in time for this year’s World Parks Day on 19 September.
As the voice of UK parks, the Parks Alliance, is looking to create a library of useful and informative testimonials celebrating local parks or highlighting recent changes to parks or parks under threat. Anyone can submit a Parks Watch testimonial – individuals, friends’ groups, local councillors – by visiting the Parks Alliance website here
Launched in time for World Parks Day the Parks Alliance hopes that the initiative will help draw attention to the immense value parks have in terms of economic, social, community, environmental and public health benefits.
Speaking about Park Watch, Mark Camley, Chairman of The Parks Alliance, said: “We wanted to launch Park Watch in time for World Parks Day – the world celebration of parks and green spaces, which celebrates the many benefits that our parks contribute to the nation’s well-being and enjoyment. We know how important parks are as 68% of users consider spending time in their local park essential to their quality of life. This new library of case studies will allow us to represent those people and organisations better and persuade government, local authorities and other park funders of the value of properly funded and maintained parks across the UK.”
The Parks Alliance works to:
- Protect and improve the country’s public parks for future generations.
- Increase understanding among national politicians and policy makers of the value of public parks to the current and future quality of life and health in the UK.
- Increase understanding among national and local politicians and decision makers that parks are a crucial part of social and physical infrastructure supporting education, flood control, health improvement, social cohesion, wildlife and helping us adapt to climate change.
- Secure and boost the existing world-leading skills and expertise delivering UK parks as well as quality training and employment opportunities.
- Influence national, regional and local policies and funding decisions that impact on parks. World Parks Day is organized by World Urban Parks, the organization for open space and recreation.
Click here to find out more.